Abralia astrostictaKotaro Tsuchiya
- Tentacle clubs
- About four hooks on ventral side.
- Two rows of large suckers on dorsal side of manus.
- Right ventral arm of male hectocotylized.
- Hectocotylus with two subequal sized off-set flaps.
- Eye Photophores
- Five large silvery organs subequal in size.
- Integumental Photophores
- Ventral mantle with scattered arrangement of organs.
- Ventral head with three indistinct, longitudinal stripes of organs.
- Terminal Arm Photophores
- Arm IV with four large ovoidal photophores at tip.
- Terminal suckers lost on oral side of organs in both sexes.
- Caudal Photophores
- At the mantle apex, a pair of ovoidal photophores is buried in the tissue.
CommentThis species shares some peculiar features with A. astrolineata.
- Arms IV with large ovoidal photophores buried in the tissue at the tip.
- A pair of photophores buried in the tissue of mantle apex.
ParalarvaeParalarva of present species is characterized by:
- Chromatophore pattern on dorsal mantle with many midline chromatophores; chromatophore band III on ventral mantle complete.
- Integumental photophores very large.
- A pair of subintegumental photophores at the posteior end of mantle, which appears at 3.2mm ML.
(Young and Harman, 1985)
A. astrosticta is a member of the mesopelagic boundary community in Hawaiian waters (Reid et al., 1991; Young, 1995). Adult specimens were caught at the bottom in 110 and 180m in Hawaii by gillnet and shrimp trawl. Juveniles were caught between 10 and 130m deep at night near Hawaii by pelagic trawls (Young, 1978).
Geographical distributionThis species was first described from Hawaiian waters. Distribution of the species includes the Ryukyu Islands (Tsuchiya, 1993), the Philippine Sea (Nesis and Nikitina, 1988), Hawaiian waters (Young, 1978; Burgess, 1992), New Zealand and western North Australia (Riddell, 1985; Lu and Philipps, 1985), and eastern North Australia.
Burgess, L.A. 1992.
Lu and Philipps, 1985.
Nesis and nikitina, 1988.
Reid et al., 1991.
Tsuchiya, K. 1993.
Young, R.E. 1978.
Young, R.E. 1995. Aspects of the natural history of pelagic cephalopods of the Hawaiian mesopelagic-boundary region. Pacific Science, 49:143-155.
Tokyo University of Fisheries, Konan, Minato, Tokyo
Page copyright © 2000
Citing this page:
Tsuchiya, Kotaro. 2000. Abralia astrosticta http://tolweb.org/Abralia_astrosticta/19652/2000.01.01 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/. Version 01 January 2000 (under construction).