Atlanta lesueuriRoger R. Seapy
- Maximal shell size appears to vary geographically, between 2 and 6 mm
- Shell transparent with a thin, fragile walls
- Shell surface smooth; lacking surface sculpture
- Spire compact, comprised of about 2-1/2 whorls
- Spire sutures incised, enabling distinction of whorls
- Keel tall, with a truncate leading edge
- Eyes type b; lens large
- Operculum type b
- Radula type I, triangular shape; largest radula in the genus
- Maximal shell size appears to vary geographically (=6 mm in the western tropical Pacific [Souleyet, 1852], 4 mm in the North Atlantic and Indian Oceans [Richter, 1986, 1974] and 2 mm off Hawaii [Seapy, 1990b] and eastern Australia [Newman, 1990]).
- Shell transparent with thin walls and keel
- Shell surface smooth, lacking any raised sculpture on the spire whorls
- Spire very small, compact and somewhat elevated, consisting of about 2-1/2 whorls; spire whorls distinct due to deep sutures (see tilted view of spire below)
- Keel tall, with a truncate leading edge
Click on an image to view larger version & data in a new window
Figure. Scanning electron micrographs of a 1.2 mm Atlanta lesueurii, viewed from the right side (upper left), the shell spire (upper right), the right side tilted (lower left), and the spire tilted (lower right). Scale bars = 0.5 mm (upper and lower left) and 100 µm (upper and lower right). ©
- Coloration: in Hawaiian waters juveniles lack body coloration (see second title illustration), but with growth the spire tissues take on pink (see first title illustration) to pinkish-violet (see photograph below) coloration
- Eyes type b, with a large lens (see first title illustration; also, in enlarged view the transverse slit in the distal pigmented tissue of the right eye can be discerned)
- Operculum type b; thin
- Radula type I; largest in the genus Atlanta
- Shape triangular
- Lateral teeth monocuspid (Richter, 1961)
- Number of tooth rows can exceed 100 in older adults (Richter and Seapy, 1999)
Newman, L. J. 1990. The heteropod fauna (Prosobranchia, Heteropoda) of Australian and Papua New Guinean waters: a taxonomic and distributional review. Ph.D. thesis, University of Queensland, Australia.
Richter, G. 1961. Die Radula der Atlantiden (Heteropoda, Prosobranchia) und ihre Bedeutung f?r die Systematik und Evolution der Famiie. Zeitschrift f?r Morphologie und ?kologie das Tiere 50: 163-238.
Richter, G. 1974. Die Heteropoden der "Meteor" Expedition in den Indischen Ozean 1964/65. "Meteor" Forschungs-Ergibnisse Ser. D, No. 17, pp. 55-78.
Richter, G. 1986. Zur Kenntnis der Gattung Atlanta (II). Atlanta lesueuri Souleyet und Atlanta oligogyra Tesch (Prosobranchia: Heteropoda). Archiv f?r Mollusken-kunde 117: 19-31.
Richter, G. and R. R. Seapy. 1999. Heteropoda, pp. 621-647. In: D. Boltovskoy (ed.), South Atlantic Zooplankton. Leiden: Backhuys Publ.
Seapy, R. R. 1990. The pelagic family Atlantidae (Gastropoda, Heteropoda) from Hawaiian waters: a faunistic survey. Malacologia 32(1): 107-130.
Souleyet, [L. F. A.]. In: Eydoux, [F.] and Souleyet [L. F. A.], 1852. Voyage autour du monde execute pendant les annees 1836 et 1837 sur la corvette 'La Bonite'... Zoologie, col. 2. 664 pp. A. Bertrand, Paris.
Correspondence regarding this page should be directed to Roger R. Seapy at
Page copyright © 2009
Page: Tree of Life Atlanta lesueurii Authored by . Atlanta lesueuri .Roger R. Seapy. The TEXT of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.
- First online 26 October 2009
- Content changed 26 October 2009
Citing this page:
Seapy, Roger R. 2009. Atlanta lesueurii http://tolweb.org/Atlanta_lesueurii/28765/2009.10.26 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/. Atlanta lesueuri . Version 26 October 2009.