Doryteuthis (Amerigo) opalescens
Opalescent inshore squidMichael Vecchione and Richard E. Young
- Mantle slender, width 20-33% ML.
- Fin length and width approximately equal, 38-52% ML.
- Arms short.
- Arm sucker rings with 9 to 12 blunt teeth.
- Left ventral arm hectocotylized along distal 1/3 by great reduction in sucker size and enlargement of stalks into papillae.
- Tentacular clubs narrow, unexpanded.
- Sucker rings with about 30 blunt teeth.
- Ink sac elongate.
- Loligo opalescens
- Vernacular Names: Local species names: California market squid
Correspondence regarding this page should be directed to Michael Vecchione at
Page copyright © 2010
Page: Tree of Life Doryteuthis (Amerigo) opalescens Authored by . Opalescent inshore squid.Michael Vecchione and Richard E. Young. The TEXT of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.
- First online 02 September 2010
- Content changed 02 September 2010
Citing this page:
Vecchione, Michael and Richard E. Young. 2010. Doryteuthis (Amerigo) opalescens http://tolweb.org/Doryteuthis_%28Amerigo%29_opalescens/52726/2010.09.02 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/. Opalescent inshore squid. Version 02 September 2010 (under construction).