Eogonatus tinroTsunemi Kubodera, F. G. Hochberg, Richard E. Young, and Michael Vecchione
Eogonatus tinro was first described but not named by Fields and Gauley (1971) then described and named by Nesis (1972). The paralarval, early juvenile and mature adult stages are not known. E. tinro is uncommon and although generally thought to be a small species, may reach a rather large size (Katugin, personal communication).
Figure. Ventral and side views of E. tinro, ca. 90 mm ML. Note the very large eyes, small tentacles and long tail. ©
A gonatid ...
- without hooks on tentacular club.
- with 2-3 small ridges and grooves, and associated suckers and knobs, in proximal (carpal) locking-apparatus of tentacular club.
- Hooks in medial two armature series on arms I-III.
Click on an image to view larger version & data in a new window
- Tentacles present in subadults.
- Tentacular club without hooks.
- Suckers of tentacular club in numerous irregular series; suckers about equal in size.
- Proximal locking-apparatus of club with suckers and knobs medial to 2-3 small ridges and grooves.
Figure. Oral view of the tentacle of E. tinro. Drawing from Nesis (1972).
- Beaks. Descriptions can be found here: Lower beak; upper beak. See also this site.
- Radula with teeth in 5 series.
- Mantle tissue flabby.
- Fins sagittate, drawn out posteriorly into a short tail.
- Photophores absent.
Fields, W. G. and V. A. Gauley. 1971. Preliminary description of an unusual gonatid squid (Cephalopoda: Oegopsida) from the North Pacific. Jour. Fish. Res Bd Canada, 28:1796-1801.
Katugin, O. N., G. A. Shevtsov and M. A. Zuev. 2010. The morphology and biology of Gonatus tinro and Gonatopsis okutani (Teuthida: Gonatidae) indicate that they are conspecific. ICES Journal of Marine Science, 67: 1464–1477.
Nesis, K.N. 1972. Two New Species of Gonatid Squids from the North Pacific. Zoologichesky Zhurnal, 51(9): 1300-1307.
Okutani, T., T. Kubodera and K. Jefferts. 1983. Diversity, distribution and ecology of gonatid squids in the subarctic Pacific: A review. Bull. Ocean Res. Inst., Univ. Tokyo, No. 26 (1):150-192.
F. G. Hochberg
Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History, Santa Barbara, California, USA
Page copyright © 2013 , F. G. Hochberg, , and
Page: Tree of Life Eogonatus Authored by . Eogonatus tinro . Tsunemi Kubodera, F. G. Hochberg, Richard E. Young, and Michael Vecchione. The TEXT of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.
- First online 25 October 2004
- Content changed 10 November 2012
Citing this page:
Kubodera, Tsunemi, F. G. Hochberg, Richard E. Young, and Michael Vecchione. 2012. Eogonatus http://tolweb.org/Eogonatus_tinro/19766/2012.11.10 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/. Eogonatus tinro . Version 10 November 2012.