Onykia knipovitchiMichael Vecchione, Richard E. Young, and Kotaro Tsuchiya
O. knipovitchi reaches a size of at least 450 mm ML (Kubodera, et al., 1998) and is found in circumpolar Antarctic waters.
An Onykia ...
- with smooth skin (no warts, ridges or welts).
- Club with 10-15 (Kubodera et al., 1998) or 13 (Filippova1972) pairs of slender hooks.
- Long, slender hooks of ventral series have asymmetrical bases (see drawing below). image info image info
Figure. Oral view of tentacular club and large club hook of O. knipovitchi. Drawings from Filippova, 1972.
Figure. Oral view of tentacular club of O. knipovitchi, 295 mm ML, female. Photograph by R. Young.
- Skin smooth (i,e, no welts or ridges)(photograph of anterolateral mantle skin at right). image info
Figure. Portion of skin on anterodorsal mantle of O. knipovitchi, 295 mm ML, female. Photograph by R. Young.
- Skin smooth (i,e, no welts or ridges)(photograph of anterolateral mantle skin at right).
- Rhomboidal shape, not drawn out into a tail.
- Length 50-60% of ML.
- Width ca. 70% of ML. image info
Figure. Ventral view of fin of O. knipovitchi with indication of rostrum length, 295 mm ML, female. Photograph by R. Young.
- Rostrum short, 1/12th of GL (measured from ventral edge of conus); triangular in cross-section (dorsal surface flat, ventral surface pointed).
- Keel thickened posteriorly. image info
Figure. Ventral view of gladius O. knipovitchi with cross-sections. Drawings from Filippova, 1972.
Except where noted, this description is taken from Filippova (1972). The slender, asymmetrical hooks, smooth skin, homodont radula (see mext page) and the rhomboidal fins characterize this species.
The type locality is near South Georgia Island. This species is found only in Antarctic waters. A map of its distribution can be found here.
Filippova, J. A. 1972. New data on the squids (Cephalopoda: Oegopsida) from the Scotia Sea (Antarctic). Malacologia, 11: 391-406.
Kubodera, T., U. Piatkowski, T. Okutani and M.R. Clarke. 1998. Taxonomy and Zoogeography of the Family Onychoteuthidae (Cephalopoda: Oegopsida). Smithsonian Contributions to Zoology, No. 586: 277-291.
National Marine Fisheries Service
National Museum of Natural History
Washington, D. C. 20560
Richard E. Young
Dept of Oceanography
University of Hawaii
Honolulu, Hawaii 96822
Tokyo University of Fisheries, Konan, Minato, Tokyo
Page copyright © 2003 , Richard E. Young, and
- First online 23 June 2003
Citing this page:
Vecchione, Michael, Young, Richard E., and Tsuchiya, Kotaro. 2003. Onykia knipovitchi http://tolweb.org/Onykia_knipovitchi/19973/2003.06.23 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/. Version 23 June 2003 (under construction).