Firoloida desmarestiRoger R. Seapy
Firoloida desmaresti is a monotypic species with a cosmopolitan distribution. It is the smallest (maximal body length of 40 mm) and most transparent species in the family Pterotracheidae. The visceral nucleus is terminal on the trunk, followed by a short ventral tail and either a permanent egg string (in females) or a tail filament (in males). Prominent tentacles and a fin sucker are present in males, but are absent in females.
A pterotracheid with:
- elongated, cylindrical body divided into a proboscis, trunk and a very short tail
- tentacles, fin sucker and tail filament only in males
- permanent egg string in females
- Body morphology
- Body elongate, cylindrical
- Proboscis short relative to the long trunk
- Visceral nucleus terminal on trunk
- Tail ventral and short
- Sexually dimorphic characters
- Permanent egg string extends posteriorly from base of visceral nucleus in females
- Tail filament posterior to visceral nucleus in males
- Sucker small and located on anterior margin of swimming fin in males
- Tentacles prominent, located anterior to eyes in males
- Eye morphology
- Lens capsule oblong, with lens basal and distal portion slightly opaque
- Central tooth bears two long, sickle-shaped and pointed posterior processes on its basal plate
Figure. Location of body regions and structures in Firoloida desmaresti. ©
Figure. Posterior body region, right side in female Firoloida desmaresti. ©
Figure. Dorsal view of right eye in male Firoloida desmaresti.©
Lalli, C. M. and R. W. Gilmer. 1989. Pelagic snails. The biology of holoplanktonic gastropod mollusks. Stanford Univ. Press, Stanford, pp. 1-259.
Richter, G. and R. R. Seapy. 1999. Heteropoda, pp. 621-647. In: D. Boltovskoy (ed.), South Atlantic Zooplankton. Leiden: Backhuys Publ.
Tesch, J. J. 1949. Heteropoda. Dana Rep. 34, pp. 1-53.
Roger R. Seapy
California State University, Fullerton, California, USA
Correspondence regarding this page should be directed to Roger R. Seapy at
Page copyright © 2007
- First online 05 June 2007
- Content changed 05 June 2007
Citing this page:
Seapy, Roger R. . 2007. Firoloida http://tolweb.org/Firoloida_desmaresti/28736/2007.06.07 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/. Firoloida desmaresti . Version 07 June 2007 (under construction).