Histioteuthis sp. ARichard E. Young and Michael Vecchione
This is a rather cyclindrical, muscular histioteuthid that is known only from five squid captured in the waters around the Hawaiian Islands.
Brief diagnosis:A Histioteuthis ...
- with a single sawtooth in Basal Row of photophores.
- with virtually symmetrical outer sucker rings in ventromarginal series on club manus.
- Central suckers just slightly enlarged over marginal suckers.
- Suckers of ventral-marginal rows of manus with broad, but nearly symmetrical outer rings. Click on an image to view larger version & data in a new window
Figure. Left - Oral view of a swath across the manus of the club of Histioteuthis sp. A, 41 mm ML, Hawaii. The small suckers on the right are carpal suckers. Right - Oral view of a ventral-marginal sucker of the club, 41 mm ML, Hawaii. Photographs by R. Young.
- Medial manal suckers of club with slender teeth only on distal margin of inner ring; proximal margin with small teeth difficult to see under dissecting microscope.
CommentsMore details of the description can be found here.
Species of the celetaria-group are characterized by:
- Head and arm photophores:
- Type 1b pattern on head.
- Basal Row of head with 9 or 10 photophores.
- Right Basal Series of head absent.
- Arms IV with 3 longitudinal series on arm base (drawing below).
- Most species with separate group of 4-8 compound photophores on ends of arms IV (drawing above) (Voss, et al., 1998). Apparently this feature is absent in H. inermis.
- Compound photophores of large, uniform size and evenly spaced on anterior 2/3 of ventral mantle.
The species differ in the following manner:
|Character||H. celetaria||H. inermis||H. pacifica||H. sp. A|
|Asymmetrical outer |
sucker rings in:
|3 ventral-marginal |
|No asymmetrical rings||2 ventral-marginal |
|No asymmetrical rings|
|Size of medial |
|Slightly larger than |
|2 X marginal suckers||1.5 X marginal suckers||Slightly larger than |
|Large manal-sucker dentition:||12-13 teeth on distal margin||20-27 teeth on entire margin||28-32 teeth on entire margin||15-20 teeth on distal margin|
|Single sawtooth in |
Basal Row photophore pattern:
|Yes||No sawtooth||No sawtooth||Yes|
|Number of photophores in Basal Row:||9||10||9||9|
With the exception of the analysis of head photophores and the inclusion of H. inermis in this species group, most of the information presented in this table is from Voss (1969) and Voss, et al . (1998)
Voss, N. A. 1969. A monograph of the Cephalopoda of the North Atlantic: The family Histioteuthidae. Bull. Mar. Sci., 19: 713-867.
Voss, N.A., K. N. Nesis, P. G. Rodhouse. 1998. The cephalopod family Histioteuthidae (Oegopsida): Systematics, biology, and biogeography. Smithson. Contr. Zool., 586(2): 293-372.
Page copyright © 2013 and
Page: Tree of Life Histioteuthis sp. A Authored by . Richard E. Young and Michael Vecchione. The TEXT of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.
- Content changed 15 August 2010
Citing this page:
Young, Richard E. and Michael Vecchione. 2010. Histioteuthis sp. A http://tolweb.org/Histioteuthis_sp._A/19797/2010.08.15 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/. Version 15 August 2010 (under construction).