Mastigoteuthis agassiziiMichael Vecchione and Richard E. Young
M. agassizii is the type species of the genus.
A mastigoteuthid ...
- with integumental photophores.
- with smooth-ringed arm suckers.
- Arm suckers with oblique aperatures on inner rings and smooth inner margins. image info
- Tentacles shaped like "whip-lash." Club covers half of tentacle length. Club base with scattered suckers mostly in two series for some distance. (Verrill, 1881b).
- Club suckers with circular aperature often with 2-3 teeth on one side (Verrill, 1881b).
- Funnel locking-apparatus
- Funnel locking apparatus: "...earshaped, elevated cartilage, on each side, fitting into corresponding deep, circumscribed pits..." (Verrill, 1881b).
- Tubercules absent from mantle and other integument.
- Integumental photophores on dorsal and ventral mantle, dorsal fin, head and arms (Verrill, 1881b).
- Eyelid photophores present (Young, 1972). image info
- Fin length about half combined head and body.
Source Verrill, 1881b Verrill, 1881b Sex Male Male Mantle length 46 99 Mantle width 15 23 Fin length 30 60 Fin width 42 75 Eye diameter 7.5 9 Arm I, length 24 45 Arm II, length 33 60 Arm III, length 34 60 Arm IV, length 80 112 Tentacle length -- 312
This is the only species of Mastigoteuthis that has integumental photophores but smooth arm sucker rings.
Type locality: Off northeast coast of the United States at 33°25'N, 76°W and 34°28'N, 75°23'W.
Verrill, A.E. 1881a. Report on the Cephalopods, and on Some Additional Species Dredged by the U.S. Fish Commission Steamer "Fish Hawk", During the Season of 1880. Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology, 8(5):99-116.
Verrill, A.E. 1881b. The Cephalopods of the North-eastern Coast of America. Part II. The Smaller Cephalopods, Including the "Squids" and the Octopi, with Other Allied Forms. Transactions of the Connecticut Academy of Sciences, 5: 259-446.
National Marine Fisheries Service
National Museum of Natural History
Washington, D. C. 20560
Richard E. Young
Dept of Oceanography
University of Hawaii
Honolulu, Hawaii 96822
Correspondence regarding this page should be directed to Michael Vecchione at
Page copyright © 2004 and Richard E. Young
- First online 15 July 2004
- Content changed 30 November 2003
Citing this page:
Vecchione, Michael and Young, Richard E. 2003. Mastigoteuthis agassizii http://tolweb.org/Mastigoteuthis_agassizii/19508/2003.11.30 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/. Version 30 November 2003 (under construction).