RossiaRichard E. Young and Michael Vecchione
- Rossia brachyura
- Rossia bullisi
- Rossia enigmatica
- Rossia macrosoma
- Rossia megaptera
- Rossia moelleri
- Rossia mollicella
- Rossia pacifica
- Rossia pacifica diegensis
- Rossia pacifica pacifica
- Rossia palpebrosa
- Rossia tortugaensis
Species of Rossia are small (less than 50 mm ML in many species), benthic sepiolids generally found in depths greater than 50m.
A rossiin ...
- with 6-12 sucker series on club.
- with functional ink sac and anal flaps.
- without photophores.
- No greatly enlarged suckers in middle of arms II and III.
- Both arms I hectocotylized.
- Clubs expanded.
- Club suckers in 6-12 series.
- Photophores absent from ink sac.
- Ink sac functional.
- Anal flaps well developed.
- Epirenal bodies known to be present only in Rossia bullisi (Boletzky, 1971).
Boletzky, S. v. 1971. Neorossia, n.g. pro Rossia caroli Joubin, 1902, with remarks on the generic status of Semirossia Steenstrup, 1887 (Mollusca: Cephalopoda). Bull. Mar. Sci. 21: 964-969.
Nesis, K. N. 1982. Abridged key to the cephalopod mollusks of the world's ocean. 385+ii pp. Light and Food Industry Publishing House, Moscow. (In Russian.). Translated into English by B. S. Levitov, ed. by L. A. Burgess (1987), Cephalopods of the world. T. F. H. Publications, Neptune City, NJ, 351pp.
Voss, G. L. 1956. Review of the cephalopods of the Gulf of Mexico. Bull. Mar. Sci. Gulf Carib. 6: 85-178.
Richard E. Young
University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI, USA
Page copyright © 1996 Richard E. Young and
- Content changed 16 June 2007
Citing this page:
Young, Richard E. and Vecchione, Michael. 2007. Rossia http://tolweb.org/Rossia/20024/2007.06.16 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/. Version 16 June 2007 (under construction).