EuprymnaRichard E. Young and Michael Vecchione
- Euprymna albatrossae
- Euprymna berryi
- Euprymna hoylei
- Euprymna hyllebergi
- Euprymna morsei
- Euprymna penares?
- Euprymna phenax
- Euprymna scolopes
- Euprymna stenodactyla
- Euprymna tasmanica
A sepiolin ...
- with visceral photophores.
- with, usually, four sucker series on arms.
- Arm suckers usually in four series; in two series in E. phenax.
- Hectocotylus - left arm I; also enlargement of suckers of marginal series of some other arms.
- Arms III not unusually thick and robust; rarely curled inward in preservation when other arms are not.
- Tentacular clubs with suckers in more than 32 series.
- Pair of bean-shaped visceral photophores.
Click on an image to view larger version & data in a new window
Figure. Ventral view of the visceral photophores of E. scolopes. The silvery reflectors are covered in their centers by extensions of the ink sac. The photogenic region of each reflector is medially located and the two organs are joined by a narrow duct. Photograph by R. Young.
- Gladius present as a distinct rudiment
Nesis, K. N. 1982/87. Abridged key to the cephalopod mollusks of the world's ocean. 385+ii pp. Light and Food Industry Publishing House, Moscow. (In Russian.). Translated into English by B. S. Levitov, ed. by L. A. Burgess (1987), Cephalopods of the world. T. F. H. Publications, Neptune City, NJ, 351pp.
Voss, G. L. 1963. Cephalopoda of the Philippine Islands. Bull. U. S. Nat. Mus., 234: 1-180.
Page copyright © 1996 and
Page: Tree of Life Euprymna Authored by . Richard E. Young and Michael Vecchione. The TEXT of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.
Citing this page:
Young, Richard E. and Michael Vecchione. 1996. Euprymna http://tolweb.org/Euprymna/20036/1996.01.01 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/. Version 01 January 1996 (under construction).