IntroductionThis species shows remarkable differentiation among the "Sky Islands" of southern Arizona, especially in traits that relate to male courtship behavior.
- Male from Santa Rita Mountains, AZ
- Male from Santa Catalina Mountains, AZ
- Male from Mule Mountains, AZ
- Male from Patagonia Mountains, AZ
- Male from Baboquivari Mountains, AZ
- Male from Atascosas Mountains, AZ
Courtship BehaviorThe following are poses made by the males during their courtship behavior toward females.
Atascosa, Pajarito and Tumacacori Mountains:
Baboquivari and Quinlan Mountains:
Santa Catalina Mountains:
- male shakes body side to side
- male waves first legs in jagged circles
- male opens and closes chelicerae periodically
Santa Rita Mountains:
- male waves palps alternately in circles
About This Page
Page copyright © 1995 Wayne Maddison
All Rights Reserved.
Citing this page:
Tree of Life Web Project. 1995. Habronattus pugillis. Version 01 January 1995 (under construction). http://tolweb.org/Habronattus_pugillis/4034/1995.01.01 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/