Heteroteuthis ryukyuensisTsunemi Kubodera and Richard E. Young
H. ryukyuensis is described from two squid, one male (18 mm ML) and one female (17 mm ML), taken from a stomach. It has some very unusual features and doesn't fit well into the genus Heteroteuthis. With more new species recently found in the subfamily, the generic boundaries have become increasingly hard to define.
The fish from which H. ryukyuensis came was caught off the northeast coast of Taiwan.
Figure. Ventral view of enlarged
sucker of left arm IV of male
H. ryukuensis. Compare photograph
with ventral view of Title photograph.
From Kubodera et al. (2009).
H. ryukyuensis shares the following features with species previously placed in the genus Heteroteuthis:
- Dorsal mantle and head not fused dorsally.
- Fins attached to the posterior half of mantle.
- Ventral shield, apparently, restricted to anteriorhalf of ventral mantle.
- Funnel/mantle locking apparatus with the funnel component having a simple, slightly curved groove.
- 2 or 3 enlarged suckers on arms III in male.
H. ryukyuensis differs in the following features from species previously placed in the genus Heteroteuthis:
- No sexual modifications (hectocotylization) of the right arm I and II in male.
- No bare tips to arms I and II of females.
- Enlarged suckers present on arms III of male but not "greatly" enlarged (ie 2-3 X diameter of adjacent suckers vs 4 X).
- Greatly enlarged sucker (20% of ML in width) on left arm IV in male; sucker with thick, long stalk.
- Tips of arms IV with suckers in 2 series.
- Web between arms I 30% arm length; web between other arms virtually absent ("not well developed").
Kubodera, T. and T. Okutani. 2011. New additions of luminous bobtail squids to the Japanese cephalopod fauna (Sepiolida: Sepiolidae: Heteroteuthinae). Venus, 69 (3-4): 145-161.
Correspondence regarding this page should be directed to Tsunemi Kubodera at
Page copyright © 2014 and
Page: Tree of Life Heteroteuthis ryukyuensis Authored by . Tsunemi Kubodera and Richard E. Young. The TEXT of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.
- First online 21 January 2014
- Content changed 21 January 2014
Citing this page:
Kubodera, Tsunemi and Richard E. Young. 2014. Heteroteuthis ryukyuensis http://tolweb.org/Heteroteuthis_ryukyuensis/149599/2014.01.21 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/. Version 21 January 2014 (under construction).