Nectoteuthis pourtalesiMichael Vecchione and Richard E. Young
A heteroteuthin ...
- with mantle free from head dorsally.
- with elongate distal arm suckers without constricted necks.
- ventral shield without anterior notch.
- Distal suckers on arms with elongate suckers and stalks without constricted necks, or distal suckers absent, replaced by leaf-like lobes (sexual dimorphism??).
- Web between dorsal arms extensive. Click on an image to view larger version & data in a new window
Figure. Various views of arms and suckers of N. pourtalesi, holotype. Note the extensive web between arms I. Left - Dorsal view of arm crown. Middle-left - Dorsolateral view of arm II suckers. Middle-right - Dorsolateral view of arm crown. Note that arm I suckers are elongate. Photographs by R. Young. Right - Side view of left arm IV. Drawing from Verrill (1883).
- Funnel locking-apparatus with a deep, broad pit anteriorly and an elongate pit posteriorly. Click on an image to view larger version & data in a new window
Click on an image to view larger version & data in a new window
Figure. Funnel/mantle locking-apparatus of N. portieri, holotype. Left - Frontal views of the funnel component(top) and the mantle component (bottom). Anterior is at the left. Right - Oblique view of the funnel/mantle locking-apparatus, showing both components. Photographs by M. Vecchione.
- Funnel locking-apparatus with a deep, broad pit anteriorly and an elongate pit posteriorly.
- Dorsal mantle free from head.
- Ventral mantle shield extends anteriorly past base of arms.
- Anterior margin of shield without median indentation for funnel.
- Fins extend anteriorly beyond the dorsal mantle margin but do not reach the mantle margin posteriorly.
The holotype (NMNH 729734) presumably is a male judging from the arm sucker modifications. The mantle has not been cut open to verify the sex.
Verrill, A. E. 1883. Supplementary report on the "Blake" cephalopods. Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology 11(5):105-115, 3 pls.
Correspondence regarding this page should be directed to Richard E. Young at
Page copyright © 2016 and
Page: Tree of Life Nectoteuthis Authored by . Nectoteuthis pourtalesi . Michael Vecchione and Richard E. Young. The TEXT of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.
- First online 01 September 2004
- Content changed 29 August 2016
Citing this page:
Vecchione, Michael and Richard E. Young. 2016. Nectoteuthis http://tolweb.org/Nectoteuthis_pourtalesi/20031/2016.08.29 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/. Nectoteuthis pourtalesi . Version 29 August 2016 (under construction).