- Digestive system
- Radula absent.
- Stomach slightly two-parted.
- Esophagus and stomach covered with deep reddish-purple gelatinous tissue.
- Caecum with nearly a complete spiral.
- Intestine short, straight.
- Salivary glands present on buccal mass.
- Male reproductive tract
- Male genitalia complex has been figured but not described. Identification of structures based on Voss and Pearcy, 1990.
- Female reproductive tract
- Distal portion of oviducal gland dark brown, nearly black; proximal portion white.
- Distal oviduct broadens distally, bulbous.
- Beaks have been illustrated but not described.
- Half-orange shape.
- 7-9 primary lamellae.
- Mantle and head greyish, tinged with purple-brown.
- Posterior edges of fins lined with dark purple or reddish-brown color.
- Aboral surfaces of arms and web dark purple or reddish-brown.
- Oral surfaces of arms and web deep purplish brown or chocolate often with light brown or flesh-colored suckers.
Grimpoteuthis bathynectes: Description ContinuedRichard E. Young and Michael Vecchione
Voss, G. L. and W. G. Pearcy. 1990. Deep-water octopods (Mollusca: Cephalopoda) of the Northeastern Pacific. Proc. Calif. Acad. Sci. 47: 47-94.
Page copyright © 2002 and
Page: Tree of Life Grimpoteuthis bathynectes: Description Continued Authored by Richard E. Young and Michael Vecchione. The TEXT of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.