This tree diagram shows the relationships between several groups of organisms.
The root of the current tree connects the organisms featured in this tree to their containing group and the rest of the Tree of Life. The basal branching point in the tree represents the ancestor of the other groups in the tree. This ancestor diversified over time into several descendent subgroups, which are represented as internal nodes and terminal taxa to the right.
You can click on the root to travel down the Tree of Life all the way to the root of all Life, and you can click on the names of descendent subgroups to travel up the Tree of Life all the way to individual species.close box
Bond, J. E. and B. D. Opell. 1998. Testing adaptive radiation and key innovation hypotheses in spiders. Evolution 52:403-414.
Coddington, J. A. and H. W. Levi. 1991. Systematics and evolution of spiders (Araneae). Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 22:565-592.
Foelix, R. F. 1996. Biology of Spiders. 2nd ed. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
Gatesy, J., C. Hayashi, D. Motriuk, J. Woods, and R. Lewis. 2001. Extreme diversity, conservation, and convergence of spider silk fibroin sequences. Science 291:2603-2605.
Preston-Mafham, R. and K. Preston-Mafham. 1984. Spiders of the World. Blandford Press Ltd. Dorset.
- Assembling the Tree of Life: Phylogeny of Spiders
- The World Spider Catalog. Norman I. Platnick, American Museum of Natural History.
- Monographic Research in Araneoid Spider Systematics. NSF Peet Project. Gustavo Hormiga, George Washington University & Jonathan Coddington, Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History.
- Colorado Spider Survey. Denver Museum of Nature & Science.
- Spider Database. Jonathan Coddington, Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History.
- Araneological Database. Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Avignon, France.
- Araneae, Spiders of North-West Europe. Ed Nieuwenhuys.
- Spiders of Australia. Ed Nieuwenhuys, Ronald Loggen.
- The Life of the Spider by J. Henri Fabre, translated by Alexander Teixeira de Mattos. Project Gutenberg.