Heterololigo bleekeriMichael Vecchione
Type species. -- Loligo bleekeri Keferstein, 1866 by original designation.
H. bleekeri is one of the more common loliginids in Japan.
A loliginid ...
- of moderately large size (to 40 cm ML) with fins in adults rhomboidal, longer than broad, not round (length <70% of ML); mantle elongate, pointed posteriorly; without photophores.
- with unusual hectocotylus.
- with a Northwest Pacific distribution.
- Arms very short.
- Arm suckers with blunt teeth around distal ring.
- Proximal suckers unmodified.
- Ventral crest absent.
- Distal suckers of reduced size and sucker stalks elongated to form papillae in dorsal series.
- Dorsal series of papillae and trabeculae at distal tip form bicuspid lamelliform flaps separated from ventral series of suckers by serrated membrane.
- Tentacular clubs narrow
- Club suckers small, nearly uniform in size, in four series.
- Fins extend to posterior tip of mantle.
- Photophores absent.
- Eggs less than 4 mm.
- Spermatophore cement body short
Figure. Oral view of the hectocotylus of H. bleekeri, ca. 300 mm ML, Sagami Bay. Drawing from Sasaki (1929).
Figure. Oral view of the tip of the hectocotylus of H. bleekeri. Enlargement from drawing above.
Vecchione, M., E. Shea, S. Bussarawit, F. Anderson, D. Alexeyev, C.-C. Lu, T. Okutani, M. Roeleveld, C. Chotiyaputta, C. Roper, E. Jorgensen and N. Sukramongkol. 2005. Systematics of Indo-West Pacific loliginids. Phuket Mar. Biol. Cent. Res. Bull. 66: 23-26.
Page copyright © 2005
Page: Tree of Life Heterololigo Authored by . Heterololigo bleekeri . Michael Vecchione. The TEXT of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.
- First online 25 January 2006
- Content changed 04 March 2008
Citing this page:
Vecchione, Michael. 2008. Heterololigo http://tolweb.org/Heterololigo_bleekeri/23878/2008.03.04 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/. Heterololigo bleekeri . Version 04 March 2008 (temporary).