Nectoteuthis pourtalesiMichael Vecchione and Richard E. Young
A heteroteuthin ...
- with mantle free from head dorsally.
- with distal arm suckers on long stalks.
- ventral shield without anterior notch.
- Distal suckers on arms with long, thick stalks.
- Web between dorsal arms extensive. Click on an image to view larger version & data in a new window
Figure. Various views of arms and suckers of N. pourtalesi, holotype. Note the extensive web between arms I. Left - Dorsal view of arm crown. Middle - Dorsolateral view of arm II suckers. Right - Dorsolateral view of arm crown. Note that arm I suckers are elongate. Photographs by R. Young.
- Or distal suckers absent, replaced by leaf-like lobes (sexual dimorphism??)
- Funnel locking-apparatus with a deep, broad pit anteriorly and an elongate pit posteriorly. Click on an image to view larger version & data in a new window
Figure. Funnel/mantle locking-apparatus of N. portieri, holotype, left = anterior. Top - Frontal view of the funnel component. Bottom - Side-oblique view of the mantle component. Photographs by M. Vecchione.
Figure. Oblique view of the funnel/mantle locking-apparatus of N. portieri, showing both components, holotype. Photograph by M. Vecchione.
- Funnel locking-apparatus with a deep, broad pit anteriorly and an elongate pit posteriorly.
- Dorsal mantle free from head.
- Ventral mantle shield extends anteriorly past base of arms.
- Anterior margin of shield without median indentation for funnel.
- Extend anteriorly beyond the dorsal mantle margin but do not reach the mantle margin posteriorly.
The holotype (NMNH 729734) presumably is a male judging from the arm sucker modifications. The mantle has not been cut open to verify the sex.
Naef, A. 1921-1923. Die Cephalopoden. Fauna e Flora del Golfo di Napoli, Monographie 35, Vol I, Parts I and II, Systematik, pp 1-863.
Verrill, A. E. 1883. Supplementary report on the "Blake" cephalopods. Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology 11(5):105-115, 3 pls.
Richard E. Young
University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI, USA
Correspondence regarding this page should be directed to Richard E. Young at
Page copyright © 2004 and Richard E. Young
- First online 01 September 2004
- Content changed 30 November 2003
Citing this page:
Vecchione, Michael and Young, Richard E. 2006. Nectoteuthis http://tolweb.org/Nectoteuthis_pourtalesi/20031/2006.12.11 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/. Nectoteuthis pourtalesi . Version 11 December 2006 (under construction).