NotodontidaeJames S. Miller and Andrew V. Z. Brower
This tree diagram shows the relationships between several groups of organisms.
The root of the current tree connects the organisms featured in this tree to their containing group and the rest of the Tree of Life. The basal branching point in the tree represents the ancestor of the other groups in the tree. This ancestor diversified over time into several descendent subgroups, which are represented as internal nodes and terminal taxa to the right.
You can click on the root to travel down the Tree of Life all the way to the root of all Life, and you can click on the names of descendent subgroups to travel up the Tree of Life all the way to individual species.close box
Synapomorphies supporting the monophyly of Notodontidae include the following (Miller 1991):
- sclerotized apices of tibial spurs with margins serrate;
- metascutal bulla present, teardrop-shaped;
- forewing vein R2 stalked with R3-5, no accessory cell present;
- pleuron of female abdominal segment 8 paritally membranous;
- female abdomen with ventral invaginated glandular region present on membrane between papillae anales and ostium;
- males with a terminal tuft of long, hairlike scales, scale apices simple or serrate;
- mandibular cutting edge smooth;
- body evenly covered with secondary setae, large setae or sometimes verrucae present at primary setal locations;
- MD setae bisetose on abdominal segment 1;
- seta X located in E area near anterolateral corner of anal shield (or a verruca in that position);
- crochets uniordinal
Kitching IJ. & Rawlins JE. 1999. the Noctuoidea. In: NP Kristensen, ed. Lepidoptera, moths and butterflies. 1. Evolution, systematics and biogeography. Handbook of Zoology 4(35), Lepidoptera. de Gruyter, Berlin, Pp. 355-401.
Miller, JS. 1991. Cladistics and classification of the Notodontidae (Lepidoptera, Noctuoidea) based on larval and adult morphology. Bulletin of the AMNH 204: 1-230.
Correspondence regarding this page should be directed to James S. Miller at and Andrew V. Z. Brower at
Page copyright © 2010 and
Page: Tree of Life Notodontidae Authored by . James S. Miller and Andrew V. Z. Brower. The TEXT of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.
- First online 12 August 2009
- Content changed 21 June 2010
Citing this page:
Miller, James S. and Andrew V. Z. Brower. 2010. Notodontidae http://tolweb.org/Notodontidae/12163/2010.06.21 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/. Version 21 June 2010 (under construction).