Moon SquidMichael Vecchione
A lycoteuthin ...
- with enlarged photophore at tip of tail.
- with three tentacle photophores.
- Five ventral ocular photophores in a straight line.
- Two anal photophores, three abdominal photophores and three contiguous postero-abdominal photophores.
- Spherical organ on tip of each arms II and III in males.
- Spherical tail organ, larger in males.
- Tentacles with three photophores: base of tentacle, mid-tentacle, base of carpus (Arocha, 2003)
- Genitalia in males paired.
CommentsMore details of the description can be found here.
Voss, G. L. 1962. A monograph of the Cephalopoda of the North Atlantic. I. The Family Lycoteuthidae. Bull. Mar. Sci. Gulf Carib. 12: 264-305.
Page copyright © 2015
Page: Tree of Life Selenoteuthis Authored by . Selenoteuthis scintillans . Moon Squid.Michael Vecchione. The TEXT of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.
- Content changed 11 October 2015
Citing this page:
Vecchione, Michael. 2015. Selenoteuthis http://tolweb.org/Selenoteuthis_scintillans/19734/2015.10.11 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/. Selenoteuthis scintillans . Moon Squid. Version 11 October 2015.