- Arm IV longest, 90-100% of ML.
- Arms I with over 50 pairs of suckers; arms II-IV with 60 pairs of suckers.
- Club slender, not expanded
- Carpal locking apparatus with 10-12 suckers.
- Terminal (distal) club pad with 10-12 small suckers.
- Rostrum 25-40% of GL; opaque, circular in cross-section.
- Keel not thickened posteriorly.
- Buccal region unpigmented.
- Weak, dark, middorsal chromatophore strip on mantle.
Onykia robusta DescriptionRichard E. Young, Michael Vecchione, and Kotaro Tsuchiya
Toll, R.B. 1982. The comparative morphology of the gladius in the Order Teuthoidea (Mollusca: Cephalopoda) in relation to systematics and phylogeny. PhD. Dissertation, University of Miami, 390 pp.
Page copyright © 2003 , , and
Page: Tree of Life Onykia robusta Description Authored by Richard E. Young, Michael Vecchione, and Kotaro Tsuchiya. The TEXT of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.