By Erin Roth and Melissa
Scientific Name: Odocoileus virginianus
Common Name: White Tailed Deer
Questions and Answers
Where are white tailed deer found?
White tailed deer are mainly found in forests. They are also found near farmland and swamps. These deer are found throughout North America, some of southern Canada, and some of Central America.
What does a typical white tailed deer look like?
An adult white tailed deer during the summer has a bright, reddish brown coat and during the winter it has a duller grayish brown coat. The younger deer, also known as fawn, have a reddish coat with white spots.
How much does an adult deer weigh?
An adult male deer usually weighs up to 300 pounds. Female deer can weigh up to 125 pounds. The average height for a white tailed deer is 3.5 feet high.
What do white tailed deer eat?
What a white tailed deer eats depends on the environment in which it lives. Deer are mainly herbivores, eating various twigs, shrubs, fruits, and nuts. They eat up to three times a day when food is available.
What is the behavior of deer?
When a deer is startled, it may raise its tail to show the white underside, hence the name white tailed deer. When a mother raises her tail, it helps to allow her fawn to follow her.
How many young do deer produce?
A female deer, also known as a doe, can produce anywhere from 1 to 4 young.
How long do deer usually live?
In the wild, deer can live up to 10 years old, but in captivity, deer can live up to 20 years old.
Are white tailed deer nocturnal?
White tailed deer are mainly active at night and early morning.
- White tailed deer are the most shy and nervous deer.
- Male deer grow antlers which they use as defense weapons but are shed each year
- White tailed deer can run up to 30 miles per hour
- They are the most popular large game animal throughout the US
Click here to print out a white tailed deer word search
Fill in the blank
Click here to print out a white tailed deer fill in the blank game
Click here to print out a white tailed deer crossword puzzle
What People Think
Kyle- Thought that this site was very organized. He liked the crossword puzzle very much. His favorite picture on the site was the picture of the buck. Kyle thought that the word search, "was a bit challenging", while the crossword and fill in the blanks were relatively easy. He thinks that other kids would have fun learning about deer and playing games to help learn the information; as long as they don't already know about deer.
1) She learned new things about the deer that she sees in her backyard every day.
2) She thought that the pictures were all equally nice to look at.
3) She thought the games were not that challenging and she thought it was interesting.
Information on the Internet
- White-tailed deer This is a useful site for more information about white tailed deer
- White-tailed Deer-Odocoileus virginianus This site has very nice pictures and has very useful scientific information about white tailed deer
- The White-Tailed Deer This site has many fun facts about white tailed deer
- White-Tailed Deer Diagram of white tailed deer