Abraliopsis lineataKotaro Tsuchiya
A. lineata is a relatively small-sized species, which attains 30 mm DML. It is widely distributed in the Indo-West Pacific.
- Tentacle clubs
- Two rows of subequal-sized hooks on manus.
- Carpal flap and aboral keel absent.
- Arms IV are moderate in length; ALI IV = 50-65.
- Arms I-III with 14 - 25 hooks and distal suckers.
- Female with 10-12 hooks on arm IV.
- Males with well developed, spatulated trabeculae in protective membranes and numerous minute tubercles on oral surfaces on arms I.
- Males with swollen arms II, about twice thickness of other arms, and with some tubercules on ventral membrane.
- Hectocotylus and male sexual dimorphism
- Hectocotylus with two subequal-sized offset flaps.
- Modified portion without armature.
- Integumental Photophores
- Ventral mantle with six narrow longitudinal stripes of large integumental organs and scattered small organs between stripes; a distinct, narrow, mid-ventral photophore-less strip present.
- Ventral head with three rows of narrow, longitudinal stripes and some scattered organs in between.
- Stripes of organs along ventral side of arm III and dorsal side of arm IV are interrupted.
A. lineata was found during the day at depths as shallow as 100m above an oxygen-poor layer in Arabian Sea (Tsuchiya et al., 1991).
Type locality - Andaman Sea and off Ganjam coast (Indian Ocean).
This species is distributed in widely in the tropical Indo-West Pacific from the Mascarenes (Chun, 1910; Nesis, 1982/87, eastward to Ryukyu Island, Japan, Indonesia and Polynesia (Nesis, 1982/87; Tsuchiya, pers.obs.). In the southwestern Pacific, it reaches farther to the south than 15° S.
Chun, C. 1910. Die Cephalopoden. Oegopsida. Wissenschaftliche Ergebnisse der Deutschen Tiefsee Expedition auf dem Dampfer "Valdivia" 1898-1899, 18(1):1-401.
Nesis, K. N. 1982/87. Abridged key to the cephalopod mollusks of the world's ocean. 385+ii pp. Light and Food Industry Publishing House, Moscow. (In Russian.). Translated into English by B. S. Levitov, ed. by L. A. Burgess (1987), Cephalopods of the world. T. F. H. Publications, Neptune City, NJ, 351pp.
Tsuchiya, K., Piatkowski, U., and Okutani, T. 1991. Distribution and re-description of Abraliopsis lineata Goodrich, 1896 (Cephalopoda: Enoloteuthidae) from the Arabian Sea. J. nat. Hist., 25:1121-1133.
Page copyright © 2009
All Rights Reserved.
- Content changed 01 August 2009
Citing this page:
Tsuchiya, Kotaro. 2009. Abraliopsis lineata http://tolweb.org/Abraliopsis_lineata/19689/2009.08.01 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/. Version 01 August 2009 (under construction).