- formicine tribe group
- lasiine tribe group
- Myrmecorhynchini (monophyly uncertain)
- Imhoffia (incertae sedis)
- Kyromyrma neffi (incertae sedis)
- Leucotaphus (incertae sedis)
- Protrechina carpenteri (incertae sedis)
- Tylolasius inflatus (incertae sedis)
- Dorsal cuticular flap of the metapleural gland anteriorly reduced and posteromedially extended
- Petiole with complete tergosternal fusion
- Postpygidial glands absent
- Acidopore at apex of hypopygium
- Glands producing formic acid
- Sting nonfunctional (vestigial to absent)
- Lancets disarticulated from sting
- Pygidial gland absent
Agosti, D. 1991. Revision of the Oriental ant genus Cladomyrma, with an outline of the higher classification of the Formicinae. Systematic Entomology 16: 293-310.
Bolton, B. 1994. Identification Guide to the Ant Genera of the World. 222 pp. Cambridge, Mass.
Bolton, B. 1995. A New General Catalog of the Ants of the World. 504 pp. Cambridge, Mass.
Bolton, B. 2003. Synopsis and Classification of Formicidae. 370 pp. Memoirs of the American Entomological Institute, Vol. 71. Gainesville, FL.
Hölldobler, B. and E. O. Wilson. 1990. The Ants. 732 pp. Harvard University Press.
Shattuck, S. O. 1992. Higher classification of the ant subfamilies Aneuretinae, Dolichoderinae and Formicinae. Systematic Entomology 17: 199-206.
Wheeler, G. C. & Wheeler, J. 1976. Ant larvae: review and synthesis. Memoirs of the Entomological Society of Washington 74: 1-108.
Page copyright © 2004
Page: Tree of Life Formicinae. The TEXT of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.
- First online 20 March 2004
Citing this page:
Tree of Life Web Project. 2004. Formicinae. Version 20 March 2004 (temporary). http://tolweb.org/Formicinae/22203/2004.03.20 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/