Histioteuthis coronaRichard E. Young and Michael Vecchione
- Head photophores Type 2a (e.g,. 2 photophores in Midline Series, 3 in Basal Arm IV Row).
- Sucker rings on arms IV with many low, square teeth on entire margin or only on distal margin.
- Rings on enlarged median suckers of manus with 33-38 triangular or narrow pointed teeth.
CommentsMore details of the description can be found here.
Species of the corona-group are distinguished by the following characteristics:
- Type 2 head-photophore pattern (e.g., 2 Midline Series photophores, 3 or 4 Basal Arm IV Row photophores and no rogue photophore) .
- Basal Row with 7 photophores.
- Right Basal Series present.
- Arms IV without separate series of compound photophores at arm tip.
- Compound photophores on anterior half of ventral mantle uniform in size.
- Suckers with smooth rings on arms I-III except at distal ends and occasionally on basal suckers.
- Suckers of arms IV with dentition.
The following table compares differences among members of the corona-group. H. cerasina and H. corona are very similar but occupy different oceans.
No. of series
Except for the analysis of head photophores, this description is from Voss (1969) and Voss, et al. (1998).
Males are known to be mature at 110-188 mm ML; female size at maturity is unknown, largest female is 168 mm ML. Large, maturity-related, simple photophores absent (Voss, et al., 1998).
Geographical distributionType locality: 29°10'N, 88° 00'W. H. corona is found only in the Atlantic Ocean et al., 1998).
Voss, N. A. 1969. A monograph of the Cephalopoda of the North Atlantic: The family Histioteuthidae. Bull. Mar. Sci., 19: 713-867.
Voss, N.A., K. N. Nesis, P. G. Rodhouse. 1998. The cephalopod family Histioteuthidae (Oegopsida): Systematics, biology, and biogeography. Smithson. Contr. Zool., 586(2): 293-372.
Page copyright © 2013 and
Page: Tree of Life Histioteuthis corona Authored by . Richard E. Young and Michael Vecchione. The TEXT of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.
Citing this page:
Young, Richard E. and Michael Vecchione. 2000. Histioteuthis corona http://tolweb.org/Histioteuthis_corona/19804/2000.01.01 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/. Version 01 January 2000 (under construction).