Nematolampas regalisMichael Vecchione and Richard E. Young
This is a small (30 mm ML) squid that is known from only the two type specimens (males according to Arocha, 2003) that were found on the beach in the Kermadec Islands.
A Nematolampas ...
- with normal arms II.
- with a single photophore on each arm II.
- Arms III greatly elongate (only in males?).
- Distal half of arms III without suckers and thread-like.
- Arms II normal (not greatly elongate, not thread-like distally, with suckers throughout).
- Arms III with numerous photophores imbedded in linear series.
- A small photophores near tip of each arms I and II.
- Tentacles with two imbedded photophores.
- Central photophore largest of ocular photophores.
- Pair of large photophores near posteroventral tip of mantle; otherwise photophores absent from integument of mantle, fins and head.
- Single postero-abdominal photophore on viscera.
- Fins and tail
- Tail virtually absent.
Arocha, F. 2003. A new species of Nematolampas (cephalopoda: Oegopsida) from the Western Central Atlantic with an overview of the family Lycoteuthidae. Bull Mar. Sci., 72: 941-953.
Berry, S. S. 1913. Nematolampas, a remarkable new cephalopod from theSouth Pacific. Biol. Bull., 25: 208-212.
Voss, G. L. 1962. A monograph of the Cephalopoda of the North Atlantic. I. The Family Lycoteuthidae. Bull. Mar. Sci. Gulf Carib. 12: 264-305.
Page copyright © 2015 and
Page: Tree of Life Nematolampas regalis Authored by . Michael Vecchione and Richard E. Young. The TEXT of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.
- Content changed 11 October 2015
Citing this page:
Vecchione, Michael and Richard E. Young. 2015. Nematolampas regalis http://tolweb.org/Nematolampas_regalis/19733/2015.10.11 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/. Version 11 October 2015.