Nematolampas venezuelensisRichard E. Young and Michael Vecchione
Nematolampas venezuelensis is known from only four immature male squid ranging in size from 58-88 mm ML and captured in tropical waters off the coast of Venezuela in the Caribbean Sea, Western North Atlantic.
Figure. Ventral view of Nematolampas venezuelensis, holotype, immature male, 87.5 mm ML. Photograph by R. Young.
- with elongate arms II (only in males?).
- with arms II having suckerless, filamentous tips and bearing numerous photophores proximally (only in males?).
- Arms II and III greatly elongate (100 and 175% of ML respectively) and with filamentous, suckerless tips.
- Arms III longer and more robust than arms II.
- Nine equally-spaced photophores on each arm II; photophores located in proximal third of each arm.
- Nineteen equally-spaced photophores on each arm III; photophores located in proximal two thirds of each arm.
- Single, elongate photophore embedded in musculature dorsally in midline near base of tail followed by 5 small, spherical photophores embedded in dorsal midline of tail; fifth in series tear-drop shaped and located at distal extremity of tail.
The above description is from Arocha (2003). More details of the description can be found here.
Type locality - Northeast of Golfo Triste, Venezuela, 10°55'N, 67°57'W. All four squid were captured between 10°-12°N and 64°-68°W off Venezuela and were taken in bottom trawls fishing from 298-385 m at night.
Arocha, F. 2003. A new species of Nematolampas (cephalopoda: Oegopsida) from the Western Central Atlantic with an overview of the family Lycoteuthidae. Bull Mar. Sci., 72: 941-9
Page copyright © 2016 and
Page: Tree of Life Nematolampas venezuelensis Authored by . Richard E. Young and Michael Vecchione. The TEXT of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.
- First online 14 March 2005
- Content changed 27 February 2016
Citing this page:
Young, Richard E. and Michael Vecchione. 2016. Nematolampas venezuelensis http://tolweb.org/Nematolampas_venezuelensis/29248/2016.02.27 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/. Version 27 February 2016 (under construction).