- Arms II-IV subequal, arms I shortest.
- 37-52 suckers/hooks on proximal half of arms III.
- All arm suckers with similar dentition with ca. 12 teeth on distal half of ring.
- Median suckers of arms IV largest but only slightly larger than those of other arms.
- Largest suckers from ventral-marginal zone of club slightly smaller than largest arm suckers.
- Large ventral-marginal suckers of club with about 9 teeth on distal half of inner ring; suckers of dactylus with same dentition.
- Primary locking apparatus of club with 4-5 large, thick ridges with smooth medial suckers and alternating knobs. A distal sucker without ridge.
- Dorsal marginal series of tentacular stalk extends along most of tentacle stalk; distal end with 5 suckers (in neotype) accompanied by small, thick ridges.
- Ventral marginal series of tentacular stalk extends along most of tentacle stalk but with slightly fewer suckers than in dorsal series.
- Beaks as illustrated.
- Photophores absent.
- Photophores absent.
- In addition to two large, ventral-head chromatophores, numerous, small, reddish chromatophores scattered over body.
- Measurements and counts of neotype:
Sex Female Gladius length
23 Head width
23 Fin length
69 Fin width
76 Arm I, length
59 Arm II, length
68 Arm III, length 76 Arm IV, length 67 Club length
19 Funnel cart. length
17 Nuchal cart. length
15 1/2 Arm I count
41 1/2 Arm II count
41 1/2 Arm III count 44 1/2 Arm IV count
62 Club sucker count 174 Median stalk sucker count
56 Dorsal stalk sucker count
73 Ventral stalk sucker count
Gonatus fabricii: Description continuedMichael Vecchione and Richard E. Young
Correspondence regarding this page should be directed to Michael Vecchione at and Richard E. Young at
Page copyright © 2006 and
Page: Tree of Life Gonatus fabricii: Description continued Authored by Michael Vecchione and Richard E. Young. The TEXT of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.