Enoploteuthis chuniKotaro Tsuchiya
Enoploteuthis chuni is a mesopelagic boundary species associated with the shelf waters of Japan and adjacent waters (Tsuchiya, 1993; Young, 1995).
- Tentacle long, with distinct club.
- Carpal cluster oval.
- Two rows of different-sized hooks on manus.
- Four rows of suckers on dactylus.
- Hectocotylus with two subequal-sized offset flaps.
- Modified portion without armature.
- Integumental Photophores
- Ventral mantle with six longitudinal stripes of integumental organs anteriorly but become diffused posteriorly.
- Ventral head with three longitudinal stripes of integumental organs.Click on an image to view larger version & data in a new window
Figure. Ventral view of the head of E. chuni, Sea of Japan, showing arrange of photophores. Note the orange photosensitive vesicles. Photograph by Danté Fenolio.
- Ventral side of arm III with a series of organs on almost entire arm length along the base of aboral keel.
- Eye with 8 or 9 photophores.
SpawningIn the Japan Sea, it was estimated that a female spawns about 5,500-13,000 eggs in summer.
EggsEggs are oval, weakly greenish tint.
This species seems to be a mesopelagic boundary species associated with continental or island shelves (Tsuchiya, 1993; Young, 1995). It is distributed from off the Philippines, East China Sea, Japanese coast of Japan Sea, Kuroshio-Oyashio transition zone to near Hawaiian waters.
Tsuchiya, K. 1993. Distribution and zoogeography of the family Enoploteuthidae in the Northwest Pacific. In: Okutani, T., O’Dor, R. K. and Kubodera, T. (eds.) 1993. Recent advances in fisheries biology (Tokai University Press. Tokyo). pp. 571-585.
Sasaki, M. 1929. A Monograph of the Dibranchiate Cephalopods of the Japanese and Adjacent Waters. Journal of the College of Agriculture, Hokkaido Imperial University,357 pp.
Young, R.E. 1995. Aspects of the natural history of pelagic cephalopods of the Hawaiian mesopelagic-boundary region. Pacific Science, 49:143-155.
Page copyright © 2010
All Rights Reserved.
- Content changed 15 August 2010
Citing this page:
Tsuchiya, Kotaro. 2010. Enoploteuthis chuni http://tolweb.org/Enoploteuthis_chuni/19706/2010.08.15 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/. Version 15 August 2010 (under construction).